So many places to get your restaurant reviews and so many people to ask! Why come here?

Well, I'm a person who travels for food. While everyone else is thinking about what they're going to do, who they're going to visit with, what they're going to see...I'm thinking about where I'm going to eat, what it's going to taste like, what all they're going to have, how I can get it home.

And no, I don't have a budget of $200 for every single meal, so I won't be posting these huge Pie-in-the-Sky meals that you lust after and know you can never afford. I eat at the average every day places and tell you what was absolutely amazing and what was a complete bust.

Consider me "Budget Travel" for your taste buds.

Sunday, April 26, 2015

Celsius (Charleston, WV)

Overall                          * * * * -
Flavor                           * * * * *
Uniqueness                   * * * * *
Price                             $$ ($20 per person or more with two drinks)
Comfort/Convenience  * * * * -

This little gem managed to sneak under my radar for longer than I would have thought possible.  Located in the old Vandalia Grille between Hale and Dickinson, it's a place that you hardly ever walk by and don't much look at when you're driving by.

But once you know it's there...

There are (literally) two sides to the building.  The Dickinson Street side is more of a bar set up: tables, the bar itself, and a louder atmosphere.  The Hale Street side (which you aren't likely to see unless you came in on that side) has loveseats, sofas, cushions, and coffee tables.  Both have their benefits, but it kind of depends on what you came for and it's good to know they're both there.  I like the couches better, myself, but I'm a lounger.

The food menu is small and full of small things.  While they don't call themselves a tapas bar, it really is a tapas menu, perfect to order a few things for a full table and split amongst yourselves.  Nothing on the menu could remotely be described as an entree.  My personal favorite is the truffle fries with garlic aoili (you can't taste the truffle too much, but the fries are top notch and the garlic "aoili"-that's mayonnaise, in case you didn't know- is a great offset) and the gyro flatbread.

Most exciting is the drinks menu.  Charleston is getting more diverse, but we still aren't the biggest place for fancy/diverse drinks and talented bartending.  The only other place in Charleston that holds a candle to Celsius in this regard is Su-Tei and I go to them for different things.

Here we have a huge selection of Mules (Moscow, Kyoto, and Celsius among others), wines, beers, and a variety of blended drinks that can make your head spin while you try to decide why to get.  After a few visits, I have to say the best two I've had yet are the Kyoto Mule and Apple Pie (bourbon, apple cider vinegar of all things, and spices)

Parking is a little easier here than a lot of places downtown because it isn't competing with anything else, but it's still hard to find parking in the late evening.  Just keep circling until you find a good spot (sorry, but that's all there is to it!)

Word to the wise: For faster service and hotter food, try going right after work.  I've had great luck around 530 on Fridays, but I've heard bad things from people trying to get in around 7 or 8.  Stands to reason they'll get busier as the night goes on.

Celsius
212 Hale Street, Charleston, WV
Monday-Thursday 4p-12a, Friday 4p-2a, Saturday 5p-2a

No comments:

Post a Comment