So many places to get your restaurant reviews and so many people to ask! Why come here?

Well, I'm a person who travels for food. While everyone else is thinking about what they're going to do, who they're going to visit with, what they're going to see...I'm thinking about where I'm going to eat, what it's going to taste like, what all they're going to have, how I can get it home.

And no, I don't have a budget of $200 for every single meal, so I won't be posting these huge Pie-in-the-Sky meals that you lust after and know you can never afford. I eat at the average every day places and tell you what was absolutely amazing and what was a complete bust.

Consider me "Budget Travel" for your taste buds.

Monday, May 25, 2015

Dangerously Delicious Pies (Washington DC)

Overall                          * * * * *
Flavor                           * * * * *
Uniqueness                   * * * * *
Price                             $$
Comfort/Convenience  * * * - -  (more seating, please!)

Another one of my destination food stops, I had researched this place months before our actual trip and was more excited about it than any of the other places we were supposed to go (the museums, the zoo, the really nice hotel, even the Ben and Jerrys)

"Eh, pies..." you say?  What if I told you these were not just sweet pies, but also lovely lovely meat pies? (bonus points if you got the reference)  I didn't even go for the sweet pies, as tasty as they looked, I went for the SMOG.

But let's back up a bit.

So you go to DC's Chinatown and you wander around a bit because probably, like me, you didn't even know they had one.  Then you get a little disappointed because it's so small and there isn't much.  Then really lost because you could've sworn you were in the right place, but you haven't seen their sign or anything that looked right...Only to find out they're one street outside of the Chinatown in an area with a lot less foot traffic.

It really is a little hole in the wall.  A service counter (with a little display case) and about five bar stool seats right up against the front window.  No worries, though, because you'll be eating this pretty fast and threatening each other with forks over the last bite before you know it.

My husband and I saw the prices, imagined most places tiny slices of pie, and decided we'd just share a slice of SMOG (Steak, Mushroom, Onion, and Gruyere)  They weren't outrageous, but when you aren't quite sure what you're getting and it's just lunch, you just don't want to spend a ton.

It took about 5 minutes for them to heat up our pie and bring it to the counter, by which time I had sufficiently glared and space invaded some locals into making them move over a seat so we could have two together (who sits a party of three in the dead center of five seats?  Jerks, that's who!)

Heaven.  I knew the moment I smelled it that I was in love, that my taste buds would never be the same.

Snuggled adorably on a bed of salad greens I knew I had no interest in was this gorgeous, almost 1/4 of the pie wide, dripping steak and cheese and heaven slice of flaky crusted pie.  It tasted every bit as good as it looked and smelled and I think I spent the next ten minutes or so letting out little moans of pleasure with every bite because every so often I'd look up to see someone giving me a weird look.

I'm sorry, DC residents, I love food.

I did end up eating the salad, but only in a morose "My pie is gone..." sort of way.

Long story short?  If you're in DC, you NEED to eat at Dangerously Delicious Pies and you really really ought to try the SMOG.

Dangerously Delicious Pies
1339 H Street NE
Washington DC

No comments:

Post a Comment