So many places to get your restaurant reviews and so many people to ask! Why come here?

Well, I'm a person who travels for food. While everyone else is thinking about what they're going to do, who they're going to visit with, what they're going to see...I'm thinking about where I'm going to eat, what it's going to taste like, what all they're going to have, how I can get it home.

And no, I don't have a budget of $200 for every single meal, so I won't be posting these huge Pie-in-the-Sky meals that you lust after and know you can never afford. I eat at the average every day places and tell you what was absolutely amazing and what was a complete bust.

Consider me "Budget Travel" for your taste buds.

Friday, May 1, 2015

Charleston Bread

Overall                          * * * - -
Flavor                           * * * * -
Uniqueness                   * * * - -
Price                             $ (A loaf of bread runs around $6)
Comfort/Convenience  * * * * -

Located on Capitol Street, less than a block from Capitol Market, Charleston Bread Company is the only place in Charleston to get a loaf of freshly baked bread.  Thankfully, they haven't let the lack of competition go to their head and their prices are still more or less what I'd expect to pay for fresh baked loaves (not the type you get at a grocery store)

Offerings change daily, from a plain white to Charleston Sourdough (which, in my sourdough-loving opinion, is not very sour at all) and even challah.  They also keep a small selection of pastries: brownies, cookies, danishes, and muffins (I'm particularly fond of The Kitchen sink, a carrot cake based muffin with extra nuts and berries in it)

They even have their own parking!  That's right, you don't have to pay to park for something located on Capitol Street.

So why the low review?

Three reasons, really.  First, there's not a huge amount of "Wow,  I've never seen that before!"  Second, the only drinks they have are bottles of water (no coffee or tea or even juice).  And third, and most crucially to my lunch-break-visiting self, there is no place to sit inside or even out on the sidewalk.  Take thy muffin and go.

Word of wisdom: They're open Tuesday-Saturday and Wednesday-Saturday they have a second-day section where things are much lower priced.  You may not be able to get your first choice item, but you'll pay a lot less for what you do get.

Charleston Bread
601 Capitol Street, Charleston, WV

No comments:

Post a Comment