So many places to get your restaurant reviews and so many people to ask! Why come here?

Well, I'm a person who travels for food. While everyone else is thinking about what they're going to do, who they're going to visit with, what they're going to see...I'm thinking about where I'm going to eat, what it's going to taste like, what all they're going to have, how I can get it home.

And no, I don't have a budget of $200 for every single meal, so I won't be posting these huge Pie-in-the-Sky meals that you lust after and know you can never afford. I eat at the average every day places and tell you what was absolutely amazing and what was a complete bust.

Consider me "Budget Travel" for your taste buds.

Sunday, May 3, 2015

Plated (Online meal ordering service)

Overall                          - - - - -
Flavor                           * - - - -
Uniqueness                   * - - - -
Price                             $$ ($12 per plate, no shipping charge  Coupons available for first order)
Comfort/Convenience  * * * - -

Our box:

Nicely packaged, really fresh, very well labelled.  Not in the shot are the recipe cards, which are full 8x11 size with illustrations and all.


Plated meal one: Chicken Paillard with Roasted Parmesan-Crusted Asparagus and Smashed Potatoes Translation: flattened chicken breast pan-seared with lemon zest, salt, and pepper, oven-roasted asparagus with Parmesan, and mashed potatoes with chives.



Looks pretty tasty, yeah?  It was.  Recipe was easy to follow, though I made some minor changes based on my cooking knowledge (aka, when you're making chicken like this in a non-stick skillet, if you use a tablespoon of oil and a tablespoon of butter it will be DRENCHED in fat and not the tastiest thing.  Also it won't brown.) and took roughly the same amount of time the card said it would.  All the ingredients were fresh and up to snuff.


Plated meal two: Trout Teriyaki with Salad and Carrot-Ginger Dressing



Plating skills were definitely on point here.  This is one attractive dish (please ignore messy table).  Unfortunately I loathe trout, so the fish was a no-go (my husband said it was pretty good) and the salad dressing had sesame seed oil which is another huge turn off for me (if you've never had it, I highly recommend you try it out somewhere that you can return the dish.  It's a VERY strong flavor and not everyone likes it).  I managed to power through about five bites of the salad before I had to give up and fix myself a microwave dinner.  Again, everything was very fresh, it was just me.

This time.


Last Plated meal: Spaghetti with Meatballs, Pesto, and Greens.




This one wasn't a matter of taste, it was just bad. Doesn't even look as good as the others, does it?

It took a lot longer to get ready than it said (almost an hour and a half instead of half an hour), requiring quite a bit of prep work for the greens and meatballs and then the meatballs ended up needing far more than the time on the card said (even after I made them smaller than it said to) The pasta was a solid lump of starch (it was coated in either flour or semolina to help form up the sauce, but it ended up just continuing to congeal as you cooked and then as it cooled)  The "sauce" was flavorless (pretty talented, that, considering two cloves of garlic and all that lemon zest), EXCEPT the dandelion greens that were like eating lemon rinds.  Apparently no one ever explained to their fancy chefs that you're meant to eat young dandelion greens, not the ancient bolted ones.

Eat like this






Not this





So.  The verdict?

We only paid for two plates worth of the 6 (3 meals, 2 plates per meal), thankfully.  That's all I considered worth paying for and I'm not really sure I'd pay $12 for pounded chicken breast with mashed potatoes and a piling heap of asparagus.  It was convenient having everything laid out and ready to go and portioned so you just stuck it in as you were ready for it, but to me the convenience doesn't outweigh the price and the fact that I really only liked 1 dish.  My husband liked 1, tolerated 1, and also hated the pasta (he actually finished his), but a 3 out of 6 just isn't a high enough average to justify $72 a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment